Fresh blueberries are a staple in our house in the summer, and this recipe is a perfect way to use those littler ones that the kids think are going to be sour. Do you have that problem at your house? My kids will only eat the big ones, telling me that all little ones are sour. So, I pick out the little ones and save them for muffins. This is our "go to", one and only, blueberry muffin recipe.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup butter
2 tsp cinnamon
Recipe orginally came from allrecipes.com but I like my modified version. Original recipe can be found here
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Mix egg, milk and veggie oil in another bowl and then add to dry ingredients (or do what I do and just throw everything in together right away). Your mixture should be thick but if it seems really thick add a bit more milk.
- Stir in blueberries gently. If using fresh don't overstir or you will end up with blue batter. If using frozen you will end up with blue batter not matter what you do!
- Pour into a muffin tin. 2/3 full should give you 12 muffins (if using a cupcake tin).
- Mix together ingredients for topping and sprinkle on top of muffins. I like my topping to be fairly crumbly- you may have to use less butter.
- bake at 400 for 20-25 mins.
- Eat. Mmmmm....